Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Where It Began by Anne Stampler

Name:  Hannah C.
Grade: 10
Title & Author :   Where It Began by Anne Stampler
Impression:  Okay
Recommend: No

Favorite part:  I can't say I have a favorite part because the book just couldn't capture my attention enough for me to want to finish reading it. I only read to maybe a quarter of the way through before it started to bore me.
Favorite character: I don't have a favorite character but I suppose the one I liked the best was Gabby's old friends, especially the guy who liked art and (I think) photography.
Gabby struck me as a stereotypical naive, insecure, rich girl whose only goal in life seems to be getting a boyfriend. Her thoughts were hackneyed and dry, the typical cliche of countless others before her. Her mother simply angered me with her shallow vanities. And though I did not read much about Billy, what little tidbits I got practically screamed that this was yet another manipulative, abusive 'bad boy' who was not to be trusted.

Summary: As far as I can tell, a shallow, spoiled, rich girl named Gabby becomes involved in a car accident which leaves her unable to recall anything about events before the crash. The entire book then revolves around her struggle to overcome this amnesia and, far more importantly, become bad boy Billy's girlfriend again.
Feedback: Though it was intriguing to start the story with a car crash, the book quickly fell into the unfortunate pit fall of the predictability that always comes from spoiled, whiny characters possessing shallow desires. I don't recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment