Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke

Name:  Hannah C.
Grade: 10
Title & Author: The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke
Impression: Excellent Recommend: Yes
Favorite Part: I liked Tobin's vain attempt at saving Sara and the ensuing funeral. It showed how reality doesn't always have a happy ending and how human they still were in thought and emotion, despite their need to breathe underwater. Its writing was also realistic, from Tobin's guilt to Penn's grief that "fills the cabin with a psychic pain so sharp it makes my head pound." This realism adds further depth into both the story and the characters themselves.

Favorite Character:  Ooh, I think my favorite character is either Tobin or Thom.

Tobin's the resident medic (I usually hold medics in high regard) and he exhibits great care in keeping everyone healthy. His gentlemanly mannerisms and ability to keep a cool head during emergencies, especially of the medical type, won me over from the beginning.

Thom, meanwhile, is one of those shy teddy bear giants that I'm an absolute sucker for. Despite his apparent shyness, he's more than willing to take on enemies much bigger and nastier than he, if it meant the others would be safe. His courage especially shines in the group's battle with the giant squid.

Summary: Nere Hanson and her teenaged companions are shocked to find out they had been genetically modified to breathe and live underwater. Now, they must journey across the oceans and attempt to find refuge from a dystopian government eager to help them permanently "sleep with the fishes."

Feedback:  While there were a few times that I felt like it was a bit too low of a reading level for me (understandable since this is a middle school level book), the book captured me and wouldn't let me go until I finished the entire thing. The plot was fresh and original, the characters were realistic, and the book went against traditional 'rising-climax-falling' by ebbing and flowing from light events to crucial ones then back to lighthearted ones again. This break from tradition makes the book more grounded, since real life does not follow the storytelling technique of 'rising-climax-falling.'

No comments:

Post a Comment