Wednesday, April 10, 2013

In Darkness by Nick Lake


Name: Christine A. Grade: 12
Title & Author: In Darkness by Nick Lake
Recommend: No
Favorite part: I don’t have a favorite part in this book
Favorite character: I didn’t have a favorite character
Summary: Gang member, Shorty, is trapped under a pile of rubble after an earthquake strikes Haiti. We relive Haiti’s past through the view of Touissaint L’Ouverture, a revolutionary that lead a slave uprising nearly 200 years ago. This story is also read through Shorty’s point of view. Dark magic of voodoo and dreams, which is connecting Shorty and Toussaint together, presents itself as Touissaint L’Ouverture remerges into the boy’s body and comes out from the darkness.
Additional feedback: I didn’t enjoy the book as much as I thought I would. It seemed to drag on and it instantly made me fed up with the story after the first couple of chapters. Although I love history, I hate it when it hinders on and on, which is why I stopped reading the book half way. If you are truly into history and fiction, be my guest and read this book but otherwise, I wouldn’t recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment